Before I run commentary on The Fall, I want to mention that I’ve enjoyed reading Camus’
works. They have proved worthy of time
and effort. He makes strong claims in his
elegant narratives, it’s great stuff.
I noted before that Meursault from The Stranger didn’t seem monstrous to me. Never fear: I found my monster The Fall’s protagonist, Jean-Baptiste. Someone in class said it was eerie to read
Jean-Baptiste’s long flowing speeches about his own modesty. Uh, yeah. And it was extremely creepy to read his self-satisfied pronouncement of justice
and penance. I was shocked to learn that Jean-Baptiste had
run through his ruse of being a judge-penitent with many people before "us," the listening lawyer and us readers. If it had been me, at
that point of revelation, I would have been looking for the quickest, most
effective way to get out of the room and away from such a calculating, deceitful,
manipulative man. However, speaking as
an artist, it’s interesting to see how far Camus could push my disillusionment;
from mere disappointment in The Stranger to
shock and horror in The Fall. Referencing my commentary on The Stranger, monologuing arch-villain style is another aspect
that makes Jean-Baptiste like the monster I didn’t find in Meursault. The whole entire book is an arch-villain
monologue, good grief!
Someone said they’d consider Jean-Baptiste a role model for
all the good deeds he did. My question
is, are we reading the same book? I don’t
understand how it’s possible to look up to such a person. It’s not a simple matter of acknowledging
that “nobody’s perfect” and “everything anybody does has some degree of hypocrisy/ulterior
motive. ” Jean-Baptiste recounted (in
detail!) the way he willfully seduced, used, and abused a woman just because
she’d hurt his pride. That is beyond
being a player. He fantasized about beating an
old motorcyclist within an inch of his life just because the motorcyclist was
rude to him in front of other drivers who were pressuring him. That is beyond being a bad driving experience. My problem is his monologue. The very fact that he talks about his
misdeeds, repeatedly, without remorse, without change—how does that qualify as
penance? What is it worth, to “realize”
you’re wrong, to plumb the depths of your evil thoughts and actions, and
continue in evil? Let’s not get confused
here. Jean-Baptiste was perfectly clear
that he did not want forgiveness. He didn’t
even want to evade punishment. He wanted
to be lofty, above reproach! Oh Camus,
how you lure me into a false sense of security.
A love for high places sounded so sweet in the beginning. But Jean-Baptiste soured in the end, just
like Meursault. The way Jean-Baptiste
ACTUALLY wanted to be lofty was by escaping judgment, not by being virtuous and
thus deemed innocent. He wanted to dodge
just judgment and remain “just as he was,” haha?
Now that we’ve read a few things by Camus in class, I’m
starting to wonder how much of Camus books reflect his mind. No author can divorce his own mind from his
own writing. No matter how much anyone
would like to attribute an idea or speech to a character, let’s get real: the
character’s thoughts and actions are a figment of the author’s imagination,
just as the character itself is. I’m
well aware that a person can write a murder mystery and not be a murderer his-
or herself—that’s not what I’m saying. Camus talked about absurdity in The Myth of Sisyphus. It
made me wonder how Camus can be so sure that life is absurdly without meaning
and at the same time do anything at all.
How does an artist not despair if simultaneously he's proud of his work
and believes it to be meaningless? How
can he even open his mouth to speak? I
guess he covers that in the revolt, the idea of tossing your head at despair and speaking
anyway. I can admire that in a survival capacity,
but I think that’s a sad worldview to keep for one’s entire life. To illustrate, sometimes it’s necessary to do things I don’t
understand and push past feelings of despair when it seems stupid/absurd to
even try. But that’s for a reason, to get to a better place, another perspective. I can hardly imagine what it’s like to do
that every day for years as a personal philosophy when mere episodes
of revolt are exhausting!
Someone once refused to
believe that defeatism is honest. So do I. I don’t
think it’s logically imperative to accept the proposition that life is meaningless. For one thing, a single person can’t
assert that definitively. People are too
small, too brief to make such a claim.
For another thing, logically speaking, the claim that "no meaning is
in life" is a universal negative, which is unsustainable. All I have to do is contradict that statement
by finding at least one instance of life which is meaningful. Here’s one: the fact that you’re reading this
blog about my ideas and comparing them to your own ideas. This exchange of ideas is significant,
expressive, purposeful. Furthermore, wouldn’t you say that in the continuum of
all that is meaningful, my blog is comparatively less meaningful? Surely there is something else in your life
which has greater meaning than this particular exchange of ideas. One last thing: at this point, it could be said
that this exchange is not only less meaningful on a continuum, but it is meaningless altogether. It could be said that ultimately, my blog and
your reading of it will come to naught. But entertain
me for a minute: what kind of ultimate meaning are you looking for, anyway? Really, what kind of immutable,
imperishable, perfect, and supreme reason/purpose/meaning are you looking for? Do you know what would satisfy your idea of “ultimate
meaning” and could you explain why it’s not fulfilled? Because that discussion would definitely have to take place before I
could be able to consider, much less accept, that idea that life is in fact
meaningless.
I really enjoyed your post. It was very eloquently stated and caused me to see your line of thinking very clearly. Additionally, your personality and tone are very clear and concise throughout the post. Now that we have our pleasantries aside, I'd like to offer some counterpoints.
ReplyDeleteWhile I'm not a philosophy major, I feel like I don't really need to be to examine and evaluate existentialism. There are certain aspects that resonate (at least faintly and sporadically) with each and every human being. We have all pondered our existence and our meaning, and oftentimes it is fulfilled through religion or personal goals. Even though we have tangible indicators of success and progress within the scope of our lives, the absurd still exists in the mind of Camus. In fact once you're aware of it becomes quite the pest to rid yourself of, like an image burned onto a TV.
You may ask me "If life is meaningless, then why would an existentialist persevere in daily life". To put it plainly, I do not know. However, I know that Camus would state that he lives in opposition to the absurd. He is aware of it and rejects it influence over his life. I personally found the Myth of Sisyphus uplifting, because prior it seemed that existentialism was a depressing subject that drove all of its practitioners into the ground. Now I see it as an answer to the question "What is the meaning of life" by stating "There is no meaning. But it's better that way! So go out and live!"
Thanks for the comment! I’m glad you liked my post.
DeleteYou said that you don't feel the need to examine existentialism; why not? I would think that evaluating a belief system would be beneficial to you personally, maybe to solidify or expound on your own opinions, give you new and better ones, or maybe challenge your old ones.
It seems like an awareness you can’t quite get rid of is something that can only be managed by avoidance, like if we can out-run a problem, then we’re allowed to pretend we never saw it. Is that how you think of absurdity?
Out of personal curiosity, what do you find uplifting about the statement that “it’s better for life to have no meaning, go out and live”?