When I started
Albert Camus' The Stranger, I was pleasantly curious about how it would
develop. A quarter into the book, I still wasn’t able to sympathize with
Meursault, the protagonist, but I was willing to be patient. I wanted to find something admirable. Initially I was enchanted by his attention to
detail. I soon realized the sour note to
his paradigm.
It was
pleasant to learn of Meursault’s focus on landscape and atmosphere. He enjoys common daily occurrences. He is courteously good-mannered. But he is a brittle and accidental person,
dispassionately moved from here to there by external events. Mostly a conglomeration of unimpressive appetites, and passive desires for comfort, he has no real
attachment or intention towards his friends, family, or lover.
There was a
shimmering moment when I thought Meursault showed something good inside, but
that was false. On the beach, Meursault is
in the midst of a heated situation—someone has brought at knife to a gun fight,
and Meursault talks down the gunman and confiscates the weapon tactfully. Reading this, I was relieved and satisfied. I thought that at last, I’d seen intention
and attachment, some virtue and wit in him.
However, after this moment, Meursault promptly returns to
empty-headedness. So empty-headed is he,
that he goes back to the same place on the beach, approaches the knife wielder,
and shoots him dead. As if he didn’t
know what was going to happen. How is
that possible? How can a grown man, of
any mental capacity, not know that walking up to a man whose life has been threatened
and has already proven manically vengeful, is a bad idea? It is clear and apparent to any thinking
person that that’s a bad idea. Oh,
Meursault,I cannot sympathize with this.
It’s not until
the end of his story, when he’s condemned to execution, that passionate opinions
come out of him at last. It stands at
odd contrast with the rest of his narrative, actually. Meursault frowns on his
sentence, not because he wants another chance or thinks he’s wrongfully
condemned, but because he doesn’t like it.
He feels that his sentence is a “blood-thirsty rite” of society. He imagines that his execution ought to have
a small possibility of being ineffective, in the event of which he should go
free. What of justice, then? Can it be right for a criminal to be
sentenced to a grey punishment? What
purpose would it serve to build-in an escape for the convicted? That would be dashing away from consequences
without a care in the world. There would
be nothing to fill the void the crime created, without any sort of penitence or
payment. I cannot sympathize with this,
either.
I’m tempted to
write Meursault off as an imbecile or a psychopath, but when he’s confronted by
a priest, additional opinions are revealed which give me pause. The priest comes to visit even though
Meursault has refused religious services.
It is a bland exchange and Meursault is bored until the priest says he
will pray. This throws Meursault into a
rage somewhat inexplicably (74). What
sparked that? It must have something to
do with his next musings, where he says all people are privileged and all
people are “condemned” to die.
Unequivocally, every person is guilty of being mortal—what does anything
matter, one way or the other? With this
view, it must be frustrating to have others foist eternity and immortality upon
oneself. Knowing this, I can better understand his whimbling between various courses of action. It gives me insight as to what he means that every choice
comes to the same end. I can almost sympathize with
this.
Lastly, Meursault says that it is
common knowledge that life isn’t worth living (70). But why then does he want to go free? Why then does he fly into a rage at the
priest, feeling the need to assert the justification for his decisions, his life?
I’m still wondering. I look forward to
the discussion in class, maybe someone
else can shed some light.
No comments:
Post a Comment