My commentary on existentialism.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On Being and Nothingness and Saint Genet

In Being and Nothingness: Patterns of Bad Faith, I was tracking with Sartre’s definitions of bad faith and sincerity until he said that they’re the same thing. This confused me not only because he previously said they’re antithetical, but also because they didn’t seem remotely similar to me. Maybe Sartre is trying to be cure and trying to assert a contradiction for fashion’s sake, but that’s not satisfying. I can’t get past the feeling that there must be an ACTUAL antithesis to the bad faith/sincerity symbiosis, like mindlessness or something. It’s jolly to say that bad faith and sincerity have a yin/yang thing going on, but to say they’re antithetical and the same thing just rubs me the wrong way. I’m confused.

I thought bad faith meant to recognize a decision must be made but refuse to answer yea or nay, reducing oneself to a thing to which events occur versus an active participator in life. I thought that sincerity meant to be 1) for only oneself exactly what 2) one is. Thus it seemed that an instance of bad faith might be when a person insists on transcendence while doing nothing about facticity, and an instance of sincerity might be striving to align oneself with one’s ideals in an action. This is where I lose track, because I can’t really see how sincerity and bad faith are the same thing. I can see how sincerity is contradictory in itself, however.

For an example of sincerity’s contradiction, say I’m a sweet person. Being sincere, I always try to do the considerate thing. Yet by the very act of trying to be considerate, I’m acknowledging that I’m inconsiderate—or at least that I need to be on guard for inconsiderate behavior inside me. If I focus on being sincerely considerate, it’s presumed that’s because I am inconsiderate and need monitoring. Sincerity poses the paradox of simultaneously being and not-being whatever its object is. The act of trying to be oneself changes the self as it is (the self, pre-trying-to-be-oneself—of God, I’m using hyphens. Heidegger, what have you done), thus making a person into a self other than he/she is. But that’s not the same thing as bad faith. The way I took bad faith was as a type of confrontation avoidance, like from Sartre’s example of a person who acknowledges what he “used to be” yet insists that he is “free to recreate himself,” not accepting any fault. I guess it’s too late to field my classmates for ideas, but it would be nice to understand this.

Regarding transcendence, I feel like the way the group presented the definition was rather different from the way Sartre meant it. We didn’t get a ballpark idea of transcendence, let alone a firm grasp on the concept. Let me offer a ballpark idea here: transcendence is when a person dodges responsibility by claiming he/she is beyond reproach, for no real reason except by claiming that Everybody doesn’t understand. The instruments of bad faith that Sartre discussed illustrated this vague, wafty, frustrating way of dodging the need to give a real answer. I think somehow coming back to this idea might have aided our discussion. I should have said something. Alas.

What interested me in the expert from St. Genet is that Sartre brought up suicide at the end, briefly and out of nowhere. Once the child is charged with the heavy weight of a criminal identity, he does not buckle and resort to suicide. He grimly wills to live in spite of his ignoble meaning and molds his experience into something beautiful. Granted. It just startled me that Sartre would think that a child would commit suicide over being labeled a thief. But I guess suicide after bullying is a popularly acclaimed reality. Children kill themselves because of other people quite frequently, and it’s more often than not as a direct result of someone else’s name-calling. Maybe it disconcerted me (for more than the obvious reasons) because it was a different way to draw in the existentialist theme of suicide from our previous authors. I should have expected it but it took me by surprise.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar problem with the reading as you did. Sartre’s comparison between sincerity and bad faith seemed not only contradictory but completely unrelated. I agree in thinking that bad faith has to do with a refusal of action, and though many examples were given in class I had a very difficult time trying to correlate the two ideas. I also greatly appreciate that you provided your own definition and example of transcendence. During the lecture, it felt as though many people were trying to define transcendence by simply repeating “transcendence” over and over, so though this concept is still a little foggy, your approach helped shed some light on the idea that was not shared during class.

    ReplyDelete