Dostoevsky states in The
Underground Man, that man’s worst defect is perpetual immorality because it
is irrational. This could be interpreted
to mean that man would be perfect if only he’d stop being irrational and
immoral. But I think a more meaningful
interpretation is that man’s stumbling block is himself. Our own nature is our living strength and
fatal flaw, simultaneously.
Parallels between Nietzsche and Dostoevsky strike me as odd because
I can’t relate to Nietzsche, but I resonate strongly with Dostoevsky. If I were at a party with them, I’d probably
exchange awkward pleasantries with Nietzsche, then go stalk Dostoevsky all
night long. Something they have in
common is that they speak through angsty, rebellious, prophetic protagonists in
their writings. Yet Nietzsche seems
unintelligible and abrasive while Dostoevsky seems engaging and insightful. Another commonality is that they both address
a strong/weak, master/slave dynamic in their writings. Most likely it is the manner in which they
interpret these themes that affects my reception of them. Whatever difficult, bitter topic they cover,
their personalities impact their ideas. Nietzsche
clearly despises others, but Dostoevsky appreciates the irony and forgives. It’s hard to relate to someone who’s cruel
and easy to relate to someone who laughs.
I wonder what Nietzsche would
think of Dostoevsky. How would he peg
him? Maybe he would seek to explain his
ideas and gain a peer relationship. Or
maybe he’d reject Dostoevsky as part of the herd.
Taking a theological detour in The Grand Inquisitor; the Cardinal said that to ask for a miracle
is to lose faith in God, but to reject a miracle is to reject God. That’s bad theology. I realize Jesus quoted a section in the Bible
where we’re instructed not to test God, but there are at least two sections
where we’re invited to test God. One is
in Isaiah, when a king is on the brink of a war he can’t win. He’s told to ask for some wondrous sign of
God’s faithfulness (Isaiah 7:11) but he doesn’t ask, because he doesn’t trust
God to carry him through the war. That
conclusion might seem like inference, but it’s evidenced by the king going to a
neighboring ruler to ask for help instead.
The second place we’re invited to test God is in Psalms when the songwriter
says to taste and see that the Lord is good.
The songwriter wants us to tell for ourselves and not take his word for
it. In general, testing is not opposite
to faith (Romans 12:1-2, 1 Thessalonians 5:21).
My apologies, I keep coming back to theology in my commentaries—I just
believe emphatically that if scripture is going to be mentioned and interpreted,
then it should be interpreted accurately.
Returning to a broader aspect of philosophy, I wanted to
address the ethics of the Cardinal’s justification for the Catholic church’s
rituals and regulations. In short, he is
not justified. From an existentialist
point of view, he’s unjustified because he’s usurping the individual responsibility
of each “weak” congregant by smothering his or her ability to choose. It’s a burden for every person. Giving the burden to another person doesn’t
absolve an individual of responsibility, it just changes the question to, “why
did you trust this person?” Every person
does need a master. Even non-religious
people take their identities from a preferred, shared
guiding mark or type (ex. ethnic, sport, interest affiliations). Every person is a follower/subscriber, even
if they don’t call themselves a slave. Everyone
seeks a master, but each person chooses their master freely. The need for a master is precisely why the
Cardinal was wrong to set himself up as the benefactor of the weak masses. As a believing man, he should have known that
every Christian ought to choose Christ as master (the whole “Lord” thing, and
all). It was poor caretaking to take
over Christ’s place in the congregants’ hearts and to neglect to strengthen
them in order to make that choice. It
was wrong for him to do that.
Hi Katherine!
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog post was great and I could totally relate to it, especially in your section about Nietzsche vs. Dostoevsky. I, too, could not stand Nietzsche because of his resentment for humans as a species and his lack of appreciation for rational thought. Dostoevsky also does not consider rational thought to be valuable but he goes about dissing it a more intellectual, understanding way than Nietzsche. Nietzsche comes across as “this is the answer, if you don’t believe it, you’re a moron” – I guess a condescending attitude, you could say. I’ll chill with you and Dostoevsky at the party over Nietzsche any day.
Now, you touched on the bible and it’s contradictions (not surprising). “To ask for a miracle is to lose faith in God, but to reject a miracle is to reject God” – This was a great quote to pick. I look at this and just shake my head at the contradictive nature of religion. This quote is a prime example of “do this, but don’t do that, but you have to do that to do this” – Wtf? I guess the main message with this quote is to not ask for miracles because God will give them when he feels like it, but don’t reject the miracle when he gives it.
In regards to your comment about everyone needs a master and everyone is a slave, I disagree. I think that there are definitely groups of people that fall into the master category while others fall into the slave category. The slaves are dependent and thus seek higher powers to rely on, so that they have a sense of security. The masters have that sense of security on their own and do not seek out others to rely on.
Hi Shawn, thanks for your comment! Someone needs to get going and plan this philosophy party, haha.
DeleteI actually don't feel like the Bible is contradictory, but I'm open to examples. Is there another contradiction that comes to mind? For the quote about testing God, I didn't mean to make it seem like they're contradictory--I think they can fit together.
About master/slave morality, I guess I can grant that there are people who are more obviously seeking someone to follow. But my point was more along the lines that even "master" personalities seek security from fellow masters, like the camaraderie and solace amongst members in an elite club. What do you think about that?