First thing on
my agenda for this entry is a rant about original intent. As time goes on, we in class have less and less
insight into the original intent of the authors. We keep defining terms and answering
questions based off of our own ideas instead of looking for the ways the
authors answer them. I’m not saying
personal opinions are invalid. It’s just
frustrating to spend class listening to personal opinions before we have even
established what the author is trying to say.
A prime example is Kierkegaard’s three life spheres and what he means by
an aesthetic, ethical, or religious mode of life. He defines an aesthete as someone whose
PRINCIPLES are immediate gratification and avoidance of boredom. Although we touched on the correct
definition in class, we kept reverting to “immorality” as the definition of the
aesthetic life, which is not at all accurate.
We also kept working off of a bad understanding of Kierkegaard’s meaning
of the ethical sphere. Ethical life for
Kierkegaard wasn’t conformity to traditions, conservatism, and community
service. It was finding absolute truth
and applying that universal reasoning to any given circumstance. It had to do with endurance and commitment to
what one thinks is right, not blending in with the crowd. The religious sphere fared no better, as we
kept reverting to the popular understanding of religious life instead of
Kierkegaard’s meaning. When he talks
about religion as a sphere of life, he means being confronted by God and being
ever-conscious of one’s own sin and guilt.
I disagree with Kierkegaard on at least two points, but I have to get to
the end of my rant before I get to my objections. Okay go:
Pop-culture
Christianity in the 1800’s is pop-culture Christianity in the 2000’s. The reason Kierkegaard can talk about truth
in paradox and relating personally to truth is because he REJECTS the attempt
to put God in a box and rationalize him, as pop-culture Christianity loves to
do, regardless of era. The reason I
point this out is because there was this idea during discussion that Kierkegaard
was advocating cookie-cutter Just Submit Christianity, which diametrically
contradicts his position. His refusal to match the church to the New Testament was the entire point of one of our
readings. Jesus, the Gospel, and the New
Testament are not what the church systemizes and rationalizes them to be, they
are what they are—a hard teaching which no one can accept (John 6:60). To Kierkegaard, there is no reasoning that
can make Christianity’s doctrine make sense.
Admittedly, I have
had rare experiences with Christianity, so I can’t expect people at large to
relate to Christianity the way I do. I
acknowledge that even after one has encountered the true Christ, it’s nigh
impossible to follow him anyway. But I can’t
take the idea that nonreligious people believe that Christianity is the sum of
offensive pop-culture Christianity. It
simply isn’t true.
Now that I’ve
had my rant out, I turn to my two (minimum) objections. Firstly, I object to Kierkegaard’s idea that
the highest sphere is a life of fear and trembling before God. It cannot be the highest sphere because the
movement between spheres is motivated by psychological discomfort. In aesthetics there is no meaning, so one despairs.
In ethics there is no perfection, so one despairs. In religion there is no righteousness, so one
despairs. There’s no distinction. The same inability to “live that way” would
push a person out of religion just as it pushed him or her from the other
spheres. It is not compelling to be
religiously desperate instead of aesthetically or ethically desperate. My second objection is that Kierkegaard doesn’t
understand true Christianity, or else he would have made it past the fear of
God. Kierkegaard thinks he sees the New
Testament truly because he won’t rationalize the doctrines of the Trinity and
the Incarnation, but he misses out on the reason the New Testament was written
at all: Jesus Christ. If he was listening,
he would have realized that Jesus “…did not come to be served, but to serve,
and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:28). Kierkegaard should have paid more attention
to Hebrews, which tells that Jesus is the “exact representation of [God’s]
being” (1:3). Being such, Jesus shows us
that God does not lord his authority over his people, but he cares deeply about
their lives (Matt. 20:25 and John 10:1-18).
I’m not saying that God doesn’t ever want us to tremble before him, or that
fear serves no purpose. I’m just saying
that, knowing God, it simply can’t be that the meaning of life is to live in a
never-ending, religiously-themed, existential panic attack.
No comments:
Post a Comment